Sunday, August 26, 2018

Modular City Boards and More!

I have been surfing the web and lots of google searches, when I found a great looking city or town board using 12 inch by 12 inch sections that most people refer to as tiles. I found tinysolitarysoldiers.blogspot.com/  where he used corkboard tiles and some thinner cork for other detail work for sidewalks and pavers.



Then I saw the very similar layout on leadadventureforum.com/ posted by Ockman and using the same technique as posted crediting by "Spacejacker" at Tiny Solitary Soldiers Blog and crediting him as to the layout.



I was very impress with this look and how it can be placed together making different city or town block layouts. Now for most part they made theirs for a 2 foot by 2 foot board using for most part four tiles a couple of 90 degree turns and a couple of three way intersection, I'm looking at doing a couple of each myself but I want to add a few straight sections and a couple of four way intersections.

I will start with the cork tile, later I will mount them on some 2 inch thick pink foam board to which will be mounted to hardboard or MDF board so it all will be elevated so I can do river sections for adding a bridge or two. I will want to add a port as well, so my survivors can escape by road or by boat.

So mulling over different designs ideas in my head, I went and cut out a lot of 4x4 inch thin cardboard squares, measuring  1/4 the scale of the actual tile, easier to waste a few pieces of cardboard then to ruin a bunch of cork.

Here is the basic set up for a 2 foot by 2 foot game as pictured above.



Now a 3 foot by 3 foot game.



A 4 foot by 4 foot game.



Using this same concept for river tiles plus a bridge




Using the river tiles to divide a city or town, where your characters need to get across the bridge for safety, or getting to a small boat that's waiting on the river. I can set up on one side of the river a ruined side all bombed out and burned, and the other side as just abandoned waiting to be searched to goods and supplies.








So with a multiple copies of 8 basic tile I can set you a endless ever changing terrain table.




I will be numbering them 1 thru 8 for the tiles and N, E, S and W to stage the direction the tile and for using with graph paper, so I can reset the table for places I want my characters to revisit.

I want to use this concept for Fantasy and Pirate games as well doing cobble stone streets!

2 comments: