Saturday, November 13, 2021

Making 15mm Armatures

Okay I am getting better at this and each time I learn a new trick. I have tried different ways to make armatures for my 15mm stuff. I found a new way to make them that is easy and quick. I learned about it on another Blog. However I'll be darn if I can remember Who it was or where it was to give them the credit. The creeping hazards of getting older.

I'm using 24 gage wire.

My first step is to make a loop  this will be the arms of the Armature and then twist it upon it self. I have to guess as to how much I will be needed to make the arms.


Next I cut a short piece of wire and  and it will be placed into the loop of  wire. As you see here on the Left.


Using a pear of flat nose pliers I hold on to the neck of the loop and the little short wire together 


I than twist all three together using my other hand. giving it three twists. As you can see here on the Right.


You can now adjust the short wire to give your armature as to about where you want the top of the head to be. and snip off the extra wire at the bottom. I know guys that part  of this even makes me cringe almost every time.

The figure for comparison is from GZG

I then give the twisted section a bit of Super Glue so that the short wire now cannot fall out or move. here you can see I have the armature ready to go mounted on a rubber stopper with a film of Scotch Tape as to prevent putties from sticking to the stopper.


It took me only a few minute to make these and to take pictures as well. 


I took me much longer the write up this article then to make those armatures. Once you get the hang of it you can make an army of these in no time. Well these guys are ready go and ready for sculpts.


No comments:

Post a Comment