Thursday, January 6, 2022

My Dive into "The Silver Bayonet"

 I was given the Rule Book "The Silver Bayonet" for Christmas. I spent a few days reading the rule from front to back. After reading the book, I think this is going be an excellent game to play. 

The game is based in the era of the Napoleonic Wars. Were creatures of classic horror have come out of the dark and shadowy corners, to rake havoc to the countryside and to feed on the fear of man during this time period. Your mission, as a small special team of a secret group of your government nation, is to go seek out these vial creatures and to put an end to them. However, you discover that they are supported by a higher evil power, and it is up to your team to find a way for your nation to stop this great evil power as you battle your way through creatures of the night and recover some artifacts of unknown powers that may help you in your overall mission.

You control a team of troops of different military positions and jobs against another Player's team of similar make-up, who is competing to get to a number of investigation points laid on the table. It is very likely the other player's team is from another nation wishing to get to these points of interest before you, in order to recover whatever might be there that may benefit their nation as to giving them the edge in the war as well. So, firefights may ensue throughout the game. At the end of each gaming session, you may choose to maintain the team you have or start a new team for the next gaming session. If you keep your team, you may have to replace members of the team if you are going to use them in a campaign game as they become lost in battle. There is a section on how to play solo games as well. 

I do have to make some adjustments. The game is design for use of figures of 28mm scale figures and I have 15mm scale figures. I will have to reduce the range of some weapons by half and round up if needed and most likely making adjustments for movement as well. I do not wish to go up in scale due to my gaming space and spending budget. However, I do have figures in 15mm that will fit the bill.

The book has many scenarios in it for you to play in order to get the idea of the mechanics of the game. It has a section to guide you to go about making your own scenarios. The book also has a section for creating your own monsters and creatures in case you wish to mix things up a bit. You can play through bombarded villages, dungeons and caves to underground sewer systems or catacombs in the streets or fortifications basically wherever your team needs to go. 

I intend to play my games and ideas out in coastal ports and along the coastal shorelines. Which I think would be great to play, I already have figures from Khurasan Miniatures https://khurasanminiatures.tripod.com/index.html for creatures, most of which are from beach party horrors. As for the heroes go, I have Rebel Minis, https://www.rebelminis.com/ Pirates and Government Pirate Hunter troops. That will make for making great teams. There are more figures I would like to get, that are from Stonewall Figures, https://www.stonewallfigures.co.uk/ they have Naval Marines and Command from different nations of the era. As for additional Monsters and Creatures, there are other manufactures for Werewolves, Vampires and such. Or I could sculpt them as needed, as I am doing for "My Cryptozoology World". Many Manufactures have civilians that can be used for getting in the way of things

This is the take I have about "The Silver Bayonet", I am really looking forward to this and the terrain ideas for the game and the characters I will be creating and the adventures they will have.








2 comments:

  1. Good miniature choices, sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You, I am looking forward to posting results.

      Delete